Thursday 30 January 2014

Eye Idioms



I've just discovered (a little late) that January is 'Eye Care Awareness Month', so I thought it would be a great opportunity to look at some Eye Idioms!  

The Esl Library created this excellent downloadable poster:










































To feast one's eyes on: To look at something beautiful/amazing.
"Now turn around and feast your eyes on that view".

One's  eyes pop out of one's head: To be shocked or amazed.
"When I told him I was leaving the company, his eyes nearly popped out of his head."

Keep one's eyes peeled: To look for intently.
"Keep your eyes peeled for a parking space."

Out of the corner of one's eye: To catch/see something without really looking for it.
"Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move, I turned to look and saw a little mouse run across the floor."

The apple of one's eye: A person you have great affection for.
"His son is the apple of his eye."

In the blink of an eye: Very quickly.
"The holidays will be over in a blink of an eye."

Eye candy: Someone who is very attractive.
"My friend likes sitting at the bar looking for eye candy."

Red eye: An overnight flight.
"Red eye flights are usually cheaper."

Get some shut eye: To get some sleep.
"I have to get some shut eye, I'm exhausted."


Listen out for the Eye Idiom in the song "You are the sunshine of my life" by Stevie Wonder:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.